"A lot of things aren't worth doing, but almost anything is worth telling."
Ursula K. LeGuin, "Shroedinger's Cat"


Friday, December 28, 2012

Take That, Mr. Newhart!

Not too long ago I had another celebrity misadventure right here in Memphis.  I was picking my parents up from the Memphis "International" Airport.  I had gotten a late start and then was running even further behind because construction at the airport had made the parking utterly incomprehensible.
 
When I finally arrived at baggage claim, my parents told me that they were just about to call a taxi.  I was vehemently explaining my tardiness while wildly gesticulating my hands, as I tend to do when I get excited.  Suddenly I realized that Bob Newhart was walking behind me, and I had almost smacked him in the face with one of my gestures.  I felt as if I should call out an apology as he was walking away, but I got the impression he preferred I just let it go: no harm, no foul.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment